Juli 23, 2014

In honor of holidays in Holland...some cupcakes



I’ve spent my last holiday in Haarlem/Holland (special thanks to my aunt here). A really pretty place by the way!


And because I’m slightly addicted to cooking tools and all that jazz I bought some stuff in Haarlem as well. A new decorating tube, paper baking cups and some sprinkels called “muisjes” (of which more later)
 But the best thing I got is vanilla extract which I wanted for ages. Before I have used vanilla powder from “Sonnentor” because I don’t really like vanilla sugar. Especially not the flavored one. It had been quite useful but the nice vanilla flavour didn’t come up that much without using any sort of fat. You can imagine how happy I’ve been when I found this little brown bottle in a cute little boutique called Dille & Kamille in Haarlem.

And now …. at home again … I’m so excited to try all my new tools.
This gives me the perfect occasion to bake delicious vanilla banana cupcakes. (As if I ever need an occasion for cupcakes)


Due to the fact that I’m studying nutritional science I always try to find healthier options for all those high calorie dishes, toppings and desserts. Unfortunantely cupcakes are one of them. That’s why I use wholegrain flour, not that much sugar and replace rich toppings with lighter and healthier ones. It tastes as good (ask my boyfriend) and it’s much better for your body, promise.
But you’ll see details down below.

Today’s banana muffins are quite easy to make:
Separate two eggs into yolks and egg whites. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat them until they’re white and stiff. Set them aside.
Mix 80g butter and 100g of sugar with the yolks and cream until it gets almost white. Afterwards add in 250g flour and two teaspoons of baking powder by spoonfuls. From time to time stir in some milk to get the right consistency (like potato puree). Cut two bananas into little chunks or mash it with a fork and mix in. Then carefully fold in the beaten egg whites and spread the dough into about 12 muffin moulds. I recommend using paper baking cups to get them out easier afterwards (Beside they look extremly cute). Bake them for about 15-20 minutes at 180°C. Carefully remove the muffins from the muffin tin and let them cool completely on a plate. 


Now it’s time for topping:
As I alreday told I don’t use buttercream to top my cupcakes. Means ... no bad conscious about eating a delicious cupcake from time to time.
Instead of butter I whisk 250g mascarpone with two tablespoon of sugar and two teaspoons vanilla extract. Then I fold in whipped cream and let it chill. I have to admit mascarpone and cream are no light products either but way better than buttercream. And … in my opinion it tastes much better anyways.
When the muffins are completely cold you can top it with the vanilla cream (use a pastry pag or a spatula) and decorate with some sprinkels of your choice.

I mentioned above that I got some sprinkels called “muisjes” (which means mousies) in Holland. These are tiny little aniseed covered in white and pink or white and blue icing which are traditionally eaten on the birth of a child. Depending on the child’s sex you gonna get blue or pink muisjes. Fun fact beside: Because those muisjes are quite hard to bite they’re even sold as powder for older people.
I think it’s such a cute tradition sothat I have to get them for my cupcakes. Of course I picked the pink ones and spread them all over my cupcakes. Absolutely love them!!!

Hope you enjoy
xo
Andrea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen