August 15, 2014

Feeling oriental ... couscous date orange cupcakes

 
Tomorrow I’m invited to a friend who currently moved to see his new appartment. And as always when you invite someone like me … I’ll bring cupcakes.

I always struggle with making a decision about the cupcake flavor. But ... I recently bought a pack of couscous which leads me to the idea of baking some couscous date cupcakes. For topping I thought an orange cream would fit best.

So here’s what I did:

First of all I heated up one and a half cup of water. Then I poured the boiling water over one cup of couscous and let it soak.
Meanwhile I seperated two eggs, beated up the egg whites and set them aside. Afterwards I mixed the yolks with 80g of butter and three tablespoons of honey until the mass was creamy and almost white. Then I chopped about 150g of dried dates and stirred them in. I added the couscous and 100g of flour as well as three teaspoon of cinnamon, one teaspoon of nutmeg and two teaspoons of baking powder. Next I folded in the beaten egg whites carefully and filled the dough into my cupcake tin. I baked them for about 30 minutes at 150°-180°C. Then I put them on a big plate and let them cool completely.


For topping I mixed up 125g of mascarpone with one tablespoon of sugar. I added some orange zest and pressed out the juice of the orange afterwards. Next I slightly warmed up the juice and dissolved the gelatine in it. (I used 4 sheets of gelatine). Then I carefully stirred it in the mascarpone mix. Afterwards I folded in about one cup of whipped cream and put the whole mass into the fridge.
As soons as muffins and topping were completely cold I used a pastry bag to spread the orange cream onto my couscous muffins. After my cupcakes had set a few hours in the fridge again I decorated them with half of a date and a bit of cinnamon.


My special tip: The coucous muffins (without topping) are a perfect snack for a short lunch break. The dates in it will give you an energy boost for the rest of the day and the couscous fills your belly quite well.

Enjoy
xo
Andrea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen