Juli 29, 2014

Granny's meat dumblings ... veggie edition




When I was a little child I didn’t see my granny that often because she doesn’t live in the same city. But everytime we visited her she cooked meat dumblings for us. I don’t have to mention how much we loved them. You know … grannies always cook best in the whole wide world.
But since I became a veggie I always looked for a suitable alternative. And … about one year ago I discovered vegan soy “ground meat” and used it for filling. It was amazing! I didn’t expect it to taste that similar to granny's dumblings.

So for all those who miss granny's plain fare and tradtional cooking … today I share my recipe for vegan meat dumblings with you.



First you have to make potato dough: Start off with cooking 500g potatoes. Strain, peel and press them right afterwards. They should be still hot. Add 125g of flour, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of nutmeg and one tablespoon of oil. Knead the whole mix until there’s only one big ball of dough. Eventually you have to add more flour. Be carefull and don’t overdo otherwise it becomes tough! Wrap your ball in foil and set aside.

Meanwhile pour boiling water over the soy “ground meat” and let it soak. Heat up a pan, put in about a tablespoon of oil and roast one finely chopped onion for a couple of minutes. When it turns slightly brown add in the strained soy “ground meat” and two chopped gloves of garlic. Roast for another couple of minutes. Don’t forget to stir from time to time. Season your “ground meat” with salt, pepper, oregano and marjoram and let it cool. (It doesn’t have to be completely cold but it shouldn’t be extremely hot either.)

Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil.
Take a small amount of your potato dough (golf ball size) and flatten slightly in your hand. Put about one tablespoon of the soy “ground meat” filling on it and wrap the dough around. Place them on a floured plate until you’re finished with all the other dumblings. Afterwards turn down the heat of boiling water and simmer your dumblings until the come up again. Strain them carefully and serve with sauerkraut.



Unfortunantely I didn’t yet find the time to cook them for my granny but if you trust my boyfriend they are delicious. (He ate about four at once!)

Enjoy
xo
Andrea
 
Last but not least: A huuuge "thank you" to my daddy, who finally managed putting my buttons in the right place. You are my hero!!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen