August 06, 2014

Time for dinner ... low carb green tofu rolls




It’s quite common to reduce carbs in order to lose weight. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as you do this with caution and keep an eye on fibers and your total calorie intake. Make sure that even if you cut some (some….not all!!!) carbs out of your diet to get enough fibers.
Today I wanna give you a hand with this … here’s a low carb dinner idea which is rich in fibers as well.
It’s a vegan green tofu roll.

I got the inspiration from Chinese rice rolls. Just like a wrap but only with kind of a “rice sheet”.
But because we wanna reduce carbs (and to be honest … because these "rice sheets" are quite hard to get anywhere) I replaced them with some lettuce leaves.

I cut a cucumber and tofu in little sticks. I would say about the size of my fingers.
Then I heated up a pan, added just a few drops of olive oil and roasted some spring onions. As soon as they turned slightly brown I stirred in two gloves of garlic and removed the whole mix from the heat after a couple of minutes. Afterwards I seasoned the tofu sticks with a pinch of salt, black pepper and some herbs (oregano, basil). Before I fried them in the same pan as before (without adding more oil) I covered each stick with a thin layer of bread crumbs just to make them a bit crispy.
No fan of crispy things? Go for flour instead or just skip it.

Now it’s time for the lettuce (I used iceberg). Carefully remove whole leaves from your head of lettuce and wash them. Put one or two on a plate and place the onion-garlic mix, the cucumber sticks and the crispy tofu on it. Spread some more herbs on the veggies and add one or two dried tomatoes. Fold over about 2cm of the leave at each side and then roll it in.
I secured my rolls with a cocktail pick and add a cherry tomato for decoration.

These rolls are great for low carb dinner or even for your lunch brake. You can prepare them easily, wrap in foil and take with you.
Moreover you can fill in whatever you have at your hand. Replace the cucumber with bell pepper, add some soybean sprouts or if you’re no vegan add some cheese. Change the lettuce, fill in whatever you prefer … there are endless possibilities.


Enjoy and don’t forget to send me some pics. I would like to see your version.
xo
Andrea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen